Important News regarding Text Messages
You may be aware that the new General Data Protection Rules will be coming into force from 25th May 2018.
If you wish to continue to receive text messages from this surgery (for appointment reminders, health messages etc) you will need to ensure that we have your consent to do so.
You can now register to receive information regarding appointments and health care via text message or email.
If you wish to register for this service please complete the consent form.
If you would like to receive information via email please read the information leaflet (see below) and return the consent form. Email Consent
EMAIL COMMUNICATION - PATIENT LEAFLET
At Dr T Abela & Partners, we are striving to improve communication and prioritise convenience for our patients. As such we have introduced an email service to enable patients to receive correspondence from the Practice via email.
Due to the insecure nature of the internet, limits have to be placed on the type of communication that will be permitted.
The email service is limited to patients who have consented to the conditions of use.
PURPOSE OF THE EMAIL SERVICE
The email service will be available to all patients at Dr T Abela & Partners. Limited information will be sent to patients via email. The following list covers the information that may be sent electronically:
- Referral letters and eReferral booking information.
- Appointment letters for clinics (chronic diseases, minor surgery) and post natals.
- Letter of notification that there is further action of a test result, ie make an appointment/collect a prescription/contact the surgery. This will not have any details of the test or result.
- Letter of notification that the patient needs a medication review.
- Letter of notification that further action is required following appointments with secondary/tertiary care.
- Blood test request form.
- Medical Certificate.
- Other information as requested by the patient.
HOW DOES THE EMAIL SERVICE WORK?
In order to communicate with patients via email we require:
- A signed consent form accepting the conditions and limitations of the email
- Details of the patient’s personal email address for This MUST NOT be a work email address.
All consent forms will be scanned into the patient records. The read code ‘XaRFI/705025004 - Consent given for communication by email’ will be added to the patient record.
Copies of all correspondence sent via email will be filed in the patients’ medical records and the read code ‘XaIvi/401271004 - Email sent to patient’ will be recorded.
Patients will only receive emails from email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email communication will not be used for urgent communications.
- Patients must inform the Practice of a change in email address
- Emails received from Dr T Abela & Partners must not be forwarded to anyone else.
- Patients are responsible for frequently checking their emails to ensure important information is not missed. It is possible that emails may go to the spam folder and this should also be checked.
- All attachments will be in Word or pdf format, if this is not compatible with the patient’s computer it is their responsibility to inform the Practice.
- Patients can choose to opt out of the email service at any time by advising the surgery in writing.
Emails are generated using a secure facility but because they are transmitted over the internet (a public network) it is important to note that this type of communication is not always secure. Dr T Abela & Partners will use reasonable means to protect the security and confidentiality of information sent via email. However due to the risks outlined above, we cannot guarantee the security and confidentiality of communication sent via email and will not be liable for improper disclosure of confidential information that is not caused by Dr T Abela & Partners’ intentional misconduct.
Contact details will be used solely in relation to healthcare services offered by the Practice.
All emails sent or received by Dr T Abela & Partners are subject to monitoring.